Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• Joe K
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

Posted 16 years 7 months ago
    • Two groups, two ideas, and two choices. As far as I am concerned I hope they both keep innovating, pushing the envelope, and pushing each other for that matter. Designers and end users alike stand to be the benefactors of their efforts.
      ;D

On the freakish chance they ever reconcile, I have bought up any and all Mamboomla domains.
    • Last Edit: 16 years 7 months ago by Joe K.
  • Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• Daniel Chapman wrote:
      As Brad said this is a sensitive question. ;)

Please don't mis-quote me.. that's not what I said ;)

We're not sensitive, but there is way to much emotion involved, just not from our side...
      As Andrew said "who really cares now and really, would it make any difference?" We left Mambo, we stated it publicly.. we're not going back, it's old history.. more than 2 years old... we are over it... Sadly, a few people still have been unable to accept that.

A quote I saw today, for pondering:
      "If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac, the headline that afternoon would read President can't swim"— LBJ
    • Brad Baker
      www.rochen.com - Managed Dedicated, Reseller & Multiple Domain Hosting.
      www.joomlatutorials.com - Learn Joomla! the easy way.
      You cannot tell which way the train went by looking at the track.

• Daniel Chapman wrote:
      C'mon Andrew, there's more to the story than that.
      Why are you asking me? You have access to the meeting minutes. Put the pieces together yourself - it's all there. All you have to do is make them public and then everyone will know. If you still can't work it out after that mail me and I could help you out (just not before Christmas with my current workload). There's nothing to hide though like I said, there is not a lot of point. Really, what good does it do to either community?

As for the system of governance - both Joomla!'s and Mambo's have pros and cons and are equally open to abuse or excellence. If you like one over the other then hey, knock yourself out and nail your colours to the mast you prefer - which you obviously have. It all boils down to what the quality of your leadership is and that's that. Both projects have lots of room for improvement. Joomla! is not perfect and neither is Mambo, and neither is Drupal, and neither is Typo3, and, and, and ... you get the picture?

As for whether Mambo 4.7/5/6 is better than Joomla! version whatever - I couldn't be happier if it is. Drupal looks at us (Joomla!), we look at them. If you do something fanbloomintastic we'll likely cheat just as you've incorporated code or ideas from us. It's not a competition guys and girls - it's Open Source. We feed off each others ideas and everyone gets better - there are some of us still around from the old days that still hold to this ethos. I happen to disagree with the way Mambo has done things, and the way it is heading, but hey, I don't agree with everything Drupal and T3 does either. To be honest, Mambo is not even in the group of "competing" CMS's that are on my radar.

To me it's not a sensitive question (what's the difference) but ironically it's not the one I normally get asked (usually it's what's the difference between Joomla! and Drupal). You need to do your homework and depending on exactly what your score card looks like, Joomla!/Mambo/Drupal might score the same, or they could be *vastly* different. For me it's Joomla! - larger user and developer community, open development, highly respected, avenues for professional support, generally gentle learning curve, and so on. But hey, if you don't like it, use something else.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><
      The Art of Joomla - A Joomla Magazine - www.theartofjoomla.com
      JXtended - Empowering the Web - jxtended.com
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Can someone explain the difference between Mambo & Joomla

• i didn't read all the replies but has anyone answered the original question?

i actually don't know what the differences are because i've not used mambo since the split but when the split actually happened there were no differences because it was the exact same ... i have looked at the backend in mambo and it looks very very similar to joomla 1.0.x so i'm assuming there are not many differences ...

but when joomla 1.5 comes out it will be very different

but on the issue that seems to have been discussed ... i didn't quite like the way mambo was going and was happy to follow over to joomla but now, i'm not entirely happy with the way joomla is going so may one day soon take another look at mambo or maybe even drupal or wordpress ... or something else
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• 1# Install the latest version of Joomla

2# Install the latest version of Mambo

Then compare :)
    • James Spencer / Developer & Support / Hull, UK

• There is no doubt some things could be improved - and part of that is developing a process to find out exactly what. I think what we need to do is get 1.5 out, bed it down and then really think about what we are and how a project this large plans for increased growth, increased community awareness and ownership, and just plain old constant improvement.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

• James S! wrote:
      1# Install the latest version of Joomla

2# Install the latest version of Mambo

Then compare :)

Thanks James. Been doing that the last 2 years. ;) Hence my question.
    • Best regards,

Piet Nutbey

Joomla Video Tutorials: www.joomtorial.com

Posted 16 years 6 months ago
    • Mambo 4.6.2
      Installation virtually identical - has some translation ability and some more info blurb on the last step

Links to site and admin fail to take into account the port number in the URL so it dies without intervention.
      (edit configuration.php fixes that)

mosDBTable error. Search forums -> bug in MAMP 5.1.4 - been around for a year or so (cheif scratches his chin).

Patch database.php with 3 lines of code.
      function mosDBTable($table='', $keyname='id', $db=''){
                return parent::mosDBAbstractRow ($table, $keyname, $db);

}

Under the hood, code formatting is all over the place. Pretty sad since we left the code-base in an impeccable state.

Ok, all working now.

Have run out of time. Will continue later to check out the differences later.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

• Someone else will have to register that bug in the appropriate place. I've tried but can't work it out (I thought they'd use the gforge tracker *shrug*).
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

• Continuing. Backend still looks a lot like J1.0, but J1.5 is a lot different.

Mambo icons are grey with color hover - I prefer the way we do it now. Both the J1.0 and M4.6 backends look dated compared to J1.5 (my opinion).

Mambo has a few extras like a built in comments system, a new editor, and DB backup tools (we had to yank ours because the author withdrew his permission to use it - maybe MF got permission to put it back - dunno). Most of the other menus mimic J1.0 but are significantly different to J1.5.

Mambo handles language, I think, with either the classic define file or using php gettext. We didn't go that way because of some brick walls you hit fairly quickly. J1.5's language files are a simple .ini format that anyone can hack with an editor and we know it will run on any php on any platform (Windows is very difficult to get gettext working).

Architecturally M has diverged from J1.0. They've done, in my opinion, some sensible things and some not so sensible. I can't comment on their 1.5 equivalent because Mambo has closed source policy during development (I don't agree with that policy, but hey, it's not my project anymore). So I can only compare M's current version with J1.5 which I think is a much cleaner and scalable API and it's deliberately tailored to allowing you to use Joomla! as Joomla!. I believe M is going with Cake (a PHP version of Rails more or less). We looked at this seriously but didn't go with someone else's API because you are always stuck with trying to get it to work for you in just the way you want. Same would go with the Zend Framework. Both are very good but to me they you get into trouble when you want it to do something a bit different just to suit you. I will say though that the Active Record stuff in Cake is really good in principle so we might borrow some of those ideas in the future. M, I believe is also going with ADODB for database abstraction which in my opinion is a huge mistake. We benchmarked that thing and it's a pretty big overhead compared to our built in class.

To sum up, Mambo 4.6.2 and Joomla! 1.0 are more or less the same from a user perspective out of the box - granted a couple more goodies in Mambo. Joomla! however has a substantially bigger and more active developer community so you are going to get more variety from that angle.

Joomla! 1.5 is a different story - lots of changes but because our developer community has been able to follow us every step of the way (albeit with frustration at times) with nightly builds and public access to our code repo, that translates to better adoption and better quality control. For me, designing in 1.5 is an absolute pleasure because the API is far more organised and richer as compared to either J1.0 or M4.6.

Once you get past the source code and features then you are into comparing the community services each project has. The stats speak for themselves that Joomla!'s community and reach is about 10 times that of Mambo. I think we are about 50% bigger than Drupal depending what metric you use and I think of late we are still running behind Wordpress a bit. Joomla! is not dogged with the same confusion Mambo has over what the "official" site is - I know it was and still is a hard road for them but until that is completely resolved it will always be a problem. Nevertheless, it's encouraging to see the foundation forums growing more that the mamboserver one.

Information for both projects is still hard to find and organise (with the exception of our extension directory - it's been extremely successful). This is one of the areas we are working on to improve other the coming months. It's very easy to get lost and one of the downsides of our forum being so huge is that you can't just "search the forum" for the answer anymore (although Google does help if you know what to search for).

Hopefully that gives you a bit of an idea of how complicated the question actually is. Yes, I'm unashamedly biased towards Joomla! (for obvious reasons) but these are my honest opinions - use or discard whatever you want. But the bottom line is "use what is best for YOU". If Mambo suits you, go for it, if Drupal, knock yourself out, if Joomla! - well, what more can I say than you've made a good choice :) - but all are good choices in the end.

Finally, there is a post I did some time ago now (a few things have changed since that was written) to try to answer this question some months after the split.

www.joomla.org/component/option,com_jd-wp/Itemid,105/p,79/

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds