Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Gallery Suggestions?

• duncani
    • Rocketeer

Gallery Suggestions?

Posted 18 years 1 month ago
    • Hi friends,

Can anybody giude me on which image gallery I should try?

I've been over the extentions on the joomla.org site but still cannot choose between them.
      Can you give me some suggestions, but also your reasons for choosing as well.

Also, call me an idiot, but what is "bridging" a gallery?
      I'm guessing it's adding a gallery which isn't designed for joomla, right or wrong?

Thanks for you help
    • Last Edit: 18 years 1 month ago by duncani.
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

Re: Gallery Suggestions?

• You are correct. A bridge is usually component that connects (a gallery in this cases) to the joomla install. Installs such as Gallery2 are seperate from joomla and need to be connected (unless you just wrapp the gallery).

I can speak for Gallery2 and Zoom gallery. I am currently using Zoom just becuase that is what i started with and I now have so many pictures i don't want to move them. If i had a choice though i would go with gallery. I have played with it and it is much more powerful, but if you want a nice consistent look though your site then you will have to do some work with gallery2.
    • www.bentonhighschool.com/
    • duncani
    • Rocketeer

• Hi Stewart,

When you say I'll have extra work to get the gallery2 component to look consistent, do you mean css changes, or coding changes to the php? I can get my head around the css, but with php I've no idea where to start!

I will look into the gallery2 component and see if I can get this to work, is there any tips/tricks to briding a component, if so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Duncan
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

• it was not hard to bridge
      it was pretty straight foward...
      i do mean the css not the php - you might look ok at first try, i just didn't really like the templates with the site i was working with
      good luck...
    • duncani
    • Rocketeer

• Again, thanks for the quick replys
    • Whoey
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• I've tried Zoom, and I've setup the Gallery2 bridge on a site. While I like the fact that Zoom integrates well with Joomla, and is easy to manage from the backend, it doesn't come close to the power of Gallery2... adjusting the Gallery theme to match a site template is pretty easy, I've done it before for non-joomla based sites.

Basically it boiled down to this for me: if you only have a few images to display Zoom should serve you fine, but if you're planning on having a few hundred images Gallery is much better. Also Gallery has a lot better image management (depending on what Gallery plugin modules you install/enable)
    • I'm an Individual, just like everyone else...
  • Re: Gallery Suggestions?

• I have a current implementation of Pony Gallery. It is a nice, clean, and simple Gallery plugin to Joomla. You can see it here >>> http://www.jackiegamber.com/component/option,com_ponygallery/Itemid,29/ HOWEVER, the development seems to have slowed beyond a crawl. The developer has partnered in a group, and now it seems to be dying on the vine.

Consequently, I have been looking for a new solution. I try not to go with bridges, the only exception I might make to that would be SMF, if a site was going to have a large, active forum community. This rules out Gallery 2 for moi.

Of the others, I like the looks of RSGallery 2. It's still fresh (alpha) code, but if development continues, I think it will mature into a nice package. http://rsgallery2.net/
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • duncani
    • Rocketeer

• I started with zoom as it's the easier to install, but the format / style was not what I wanted as defaults.
      So I then tried gallery2 bridge. Yep you lot were right, much more features, etc... but it was a pain to install compared with zoom.

At the mo' I'd like to take the easyness of zoom with the features of gallery2. I'd probably will be tending to lean to the zoom, just because of the back end intergation, but can I still get the look and feel I want?

Will I be able to get a side bar navigation in zoom like as in g2, or will I have to add a module to the side and link to each picture?

Does anyone have any good links for customising any of these gallery's, if so please post 'em.

Thanks to dan, I now have another two gallerys to try out, so more testing to go!

Cheers guys keep 'em coming

Duncan
    • duncani
    • Rocketeer

• Quick update:

Right, I have just got way to fed up with the gallery2 package. For some reason it's ten times slower than any of the suggested gallery's. It was sometimes taking 3-4mins to load the gallery frontpage. Is this because it's running though joomla, or is it my isp servers that are rubbish?!

Instead I've now loaded the RSgallery2 as recommended by dan. Very impressed. easy to install, manage, etc.. but as you say it's still in development. Bummer! Any css changes I try will probably get wiped out as they're just getting round to the css classes.
    • Stew Thompson
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • School Teacher

Posted 18 years 2 weeks ago
    • duncani wrote:
      Quick update:

Right, I have just got way to fed up with the gallery2 package. For some reason it's ten times slower than any of the suggested gallery's. It was sometimes taking 3-4mins to load the gallery frontpage. Is this because it's running though joomla, or is it my isp servers that are rubbish?!

Instead I've now loaded the RSgallery2 as recommended by dan. Very impressed. easy to install, manage, etc.. but as you say it's still in development. Bummer! Any css changes I try will probably get wiped out as they're just getting round to the css classes.

Ok, I got tired of Zoom and finally tried to integrate Gallery2 and make it look half-way decent. It looks pretty good if you want to take a look www.bentonhighschool.com/component/optio...gallery2/Itemid,660/ . The first time I tried it about 6 months ago it way slow for me but I gave it another chance. If you do decide to switch over in the future, I won't be that hard. Gallery2 will scan the local director if you want to move the images. Just thought I would mention this. Good luck to you!

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds