Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

• Re: Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

Posted 17 years 1 month ago
    • dannykilla wrote:
      :( I have tried contacting them and they haven't replied, the email i sent was 4 days ago now :(

Thanks Amy for the replies

Danny

It is a challenging time for our community. If we stay positive and encourage one another - especially the 3PDs - that they can continue to be supported by this community even with extensions in GPL compliance - we'll make it. But, it will take many of us showing our support. This is a tough time, there is no doubt.

Hang in there!
      Amy
    • ~*~ OpenSourceCommunity.org ~*~

• damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

• Amy Stephen wrote:
      dannykilla wrote:
      Cant the license simply come down to Choice?
      If people are willing to pay for components, modules ect... does it really matter?

Danny -

3PD's can continue to charge for extensions (they will technically be charging for distribution), all that they need to do is license the extensions using a GPL-compliant license. Business can continue as it does today - making and delivering great extensions to people who want to buy them.

Amy :)

not what i think he was asking.

i think you want to know if you can install non GPL components.

i'm not sure of the answer but i can assure you i'll still install non GPL components simply because the ones i've used for specific things are non GPL and i'm using them because they are the best ...

open source matters. sure, but these people that develop components should be able to make a living without fear of someone buying and giving away there stuff for free ....
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• Amy Stephen wrote:

Danny -

3PD's can continue to charge for extensions (they will technically be charging for distribution), all that they need to do is license the extensions using a GPL-compliant license. Business can continue as it does today - making and delivering great extensions to people who want to buy them.

Amy :)

To be fair Amy, if business could continue -exactly- as it does today then there wouldn't have been the stink that there was when the announcement was made. Business models will have to change significantly as a result.

Danny, you can still pay for them, and if you want to keep the providers alive and supporting you then I suggest you do.

However any 3PD's who go to GPL for their extensions will have to start relying on the 'trust' system of payment, or finding other ways to add non GPL revenue as people can freely redistribute their code as they like.

The most likely result though it seems at this point is that the 3pds will be building a universal bridge for Joomla that they can all interface with instead of interfacing directly with the Joomla code, and thus it will actually be -business as usual- once the interface is completed. (though your admin interfaces will probably change a bit)

Very much like Orstio from SMF is going to be doing for his SMF bridge which is open source but not GPL.
    • www.ninjoomla.com - The Ninjoomla Open Source Extension Club
      Over 50 open source extensions and 100 videos to you build the site you want.
    • Matthew
    • Hero Rocketeer

Re: Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

• Jeez, I vanish for a week, and the world goes to heck in a hand basket!

The most annoying thing about this issue is that I am going to have to write an opinion paper for some of my clients, explaining why they should not panic.

That said, in my opinion, the core Joomla! team has gotten this one wrong, from both legal and practical perspectives.

The practical perspective is obvious, community disruption. Only time will tell how serious that is. The legal perspective is a bit trickier, but simply put: Joomla! is very much like an Operating System, and people have been treating it as such. The whole point of separating out modules and components is to establish a firewall between them and the core. Under this "strict interpretation", everything might as well be released as core hacks.

There has been a lot of talk about a bridge to get around this issue, and I am sure that there is more in the developer section, which I will look at as time permits (in about a year or so), but until then, it is my opinion that every component out there is really already a bridged piece of work. There is a little bit of code that makes it compliant with the way that Joomla! does things, and a lot of code which has nothing whatsoever to do with Joomla!.

Finally, I think that Damo is largely correct in saying that nothing will happen. Sure, joomla.org might remove a lot of non-compliant developers from the extensions list, but how long will it be before an alternative list jumps up to take its place? I am sure that several have already been launched and/or are in development right now.

Now I'm off to deal with concerned clients.
    • www.gofftech.com Web Design

• Great to see one fo the core team resucing opensef and making it Nusef!

I would be very intrested to see what the fate of such extensions such as ijoomla's mag componant! I have used it for a few sites , though it is really I believe in the realm of being tied to the joomla base!
      Anyone looked at this?
    • Don't think, Feeeeel... It is like a finger pointing to the moon. (slap) Don't concentrate on the finger or you'll miss all that heavenly glory.

• I've had a Zine now for over a year. Runs this site: www.bsminfo.com/ and a few others.

I'm currently doing it up for another client on 1.5. Keep an eye out soon because I want to give iJoomla a run for it's money :)
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><
      The Art of Joomla - A Joomla Magazine - www.theartofjoomla.com
      JXtended - Empowering the Web - jxtended.com

• If you want a hand let me know Andrew. I would love to be a part of working on a magazine component.

I use ijoomla's on about 80% of my sites so I like making use of them. ;D
      Justin Partridge wrote:
      Great to see one fo the core team resucing opensef and making it Nusef!

I would be very intrested to see what the fate of such extensions such as ijoomla's mag componant! I have used it for a few sites , though it is really I believe in the realm of being tied to the joomla base!
      Anyone looked at this?

A shame to see it dumped in the first place though. There are a enough great but dead projects on the vault as there is (docman anyone??) without more being piled on.
    • Last Edit: 17 years 1 month ago by Daniel Chapman.

• You can help me tune the import script then :D

Yeah, what happened with OpenSEF was a bit strange. Open Source Law usually dictates that you at least call for new owners and do an informal handover ... guess nobody remembers the good old days anymore.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><
      The Art of Joomla - A Joomla Magazine - www.theartofjoomla.com
      JXtended - Empowering the Web - jxtended.com

• import from ijoomla?

mmm I understand their structure from a theoretical level enough that I am sure their table structure would be clear enough.

Plus I spent a large part of the last ten years writing import/export interfaces. ;)

So I may just be able to help you there. PM me for more if you are serious.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds