Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Welcome to RTv3!!!

• Ali Samii
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Welcome to RTv3!!!

Posted 10 years 2 months ago
    • Andy Miller wrote:
      It's probably a very specific issue related to our quite complex setup. We have mutiple webservers that are behind a load balancer, running their file system of a shared NFS file mount, all running under FPM on top of Apache and a separate database server. It's not a typical setup and has lead to some complexities that are hard to recreate outside of a production environment. Our staging server is much more like the typical web hosting server, and things were fine on that. Anyway, when we find out what the deal is, and if effects RokBooster in general we'll certainly fix it and get that out to you guys. My gut feeling is that RokBooster is fine, and its a configuration thing on our server end.

Hi Andy,

Could you share with us some of the customisations you have done with regards to optimisations to get the site to work as fast and as smoothly it does? It would be nice if you could provide us with your learned knowledge from the experiences you have had posting the site over to Gantry 4 and Joomla 3.x (I assume this is Joomla 3.x), how you have set up optimisations in .htaccess, utilised load balancers in a multi-server entironment, and what settings you have applied in the staging and the production environments for RokBooster.

I constantly find myself fighting with RokBooster to try and get it to work, and I would say I have only had a 50% success rate. The other 50% of the time, I end up not using RokBooster at all because much to my chaggrin, it fails somewhere or other, and that is a real pity. Although each server environment is different, and thus RokBooster as configured for RTv3 may not work exactly the same in another environment, it would be a great resource for us to have a better understanding of how to optimise things.
    • Thank you.

Ali Samii
    • Matias Griese
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Lead Developer

• On RokBooster and my general knowledge from Kunena support, your issues aren't nessessary bugs in RokBooster, but browser bugs and invalid JS/CSS. All the plugins that merge either JavaScript or CSS are affected by those issues.

Basically the issue is that in separate files the issues are limited to that file only and if the issue is somewhere in the end of the file, nobody even notices that there's a bug. There are also bugs in browsers that might cause CSS overrides to behave differently when CSS is split to smaller files vs having all in one huge file.

So there's risk that one missing semicolon for example in JS file will break all JavaScript in your site. This of course would't happen with the separate files.
    • The following users have thanked you: Ali Samii

• Gantry 5, enjoy!
  • Re: Welcome to RTv3!!!

• Very, very nice. Clean and well structure. Good job!
    • Ali Samii
    • Elite Rocketeer

• The new documentation on RocketTheme's is great. You've done a wonderful job bringing RTv3 documentation in line with the documentation that you provide for Gantry.

Having said that, it seems that it may be time for some updates to the Gantry documentation.

For example, the documentation for "Creating a Popup Login" is very outdated. If someone is using RokBox2 and have not turned on legacy RokBox support, the tutorial provided breaks.

In the documentation as it is now, you have the following code snippet:
      <a href="#" class="buttontext button" rel="rokbox[355 385][module=rt-popuplogin]">

That works if you are using the original RokBox or have RokBox legacy enabled. However, the current RokBox2 code would be more like:
      <a href="#" class="buttontext button" data-rokbox data-rokbox-element="#rt-popuplogin" data-rokbox-size="350 150">

These things need to be brought up-to-date so that they are accurate.
    • Thank you.

Ali Samii
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• rafli wrote:
      Hi, I have membership in Joomla, Wordpress and phpBB.
      In www.rockettheme.com/product-updates , it shows all updates. I would expect that when I am browsing Joomla, only joomla updates were shown. The same for Wordpress and phpBB.
      .. or.. at least make the column heading is able to click to sort things out, so I can go sort by platform, by date or by product.

After all, Great Job!. Love the design.. :)

The updates page is just that, a page that list our updates. It's not specific to what you have access to. Of course you will need to have access to actually obtain those updates.
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Ali Samii wrote:
      The new documentation on RocketTheme's is great. You've done a wonderful job bringing RTv3 documentation in line with the documentation that you provide for Gantry.

Having said that, it seems that it may be time for some updates to the Gantry documentation.

For example, the documentation for "Creating a Popup Login" is very outdated. If someone is using RokBox2 and have not turned on legacy RokBox support, the tutorial provided breaks.

In the documentation as it is now, you have the following code snippet:
      <a href="#" class="buttontext button" rel="rokbox[355 385][module=rt-popuplogin]">

That works if you are using the original RokBox or have RokBox legacy enabled. However, the current RokBox2 code would be more like:
      <a href="#" class="buttontext button" data-rokbox data-rokbox-element="#rt-popuplogin" data-rokbox-size="350 150">

These things need to be brought up-to-date so that they are accurate.

Ali, Gantry has the same GitHub-based documentation has RocketTheme. It would be fantastic if you just clicked on the link at the bottom of that Gantry page then made the edit in GitHub. This will send us a pull request that we can simply merge into the docs via the site or our own Git clients.
    • Cebby
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• I already miss the Demo link at the top of the main site page.

For those of us using multiple platforms (Joomla, WP & Magento for me), this was a very easy way to get to the demo pages and review the various templates.

I'm probably not alone in that I frequent the demo pages while setting up sites or customizing CSS to review both module positions, typography and module suffixes.

Going into a template first to get to the demo site seems more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Any thoughts on this?
    • Last Edit: 10 years 2 months ago by Cebby.
    • The following users have thanked you: Saul H

• Cebsource Creative & Technical Services
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

• Cebby wrote:
      I already miss the Demo link at the top of the main site page.

For those of us using multiple platforms (Joomla, WP & Magento for me), this was a very easy way to get to the demo pages and review the various templates.

I'm probably not alone in that I frequent the demo pages while setting up sites or customizing CSS to review both module positions, typography and module suffixes.

Going into a template first to get to the demo site seems more cumbersome than it needs to be.

Any thoughts on this?

The demo is simply demo.rockettheme.com if you frequent it a lot, I suggest bookmarking it. We have tried to strip down our header as much as possible to keep it cleaner and less confusing. That said, we will certainly take your request to heart and see how we can make the demos more accessible. Perhaps in the drop-down menu for each platform?
    • Cebby
    • Hero Rocketeer
    • Web Developer

• Thanks - yes, I'll bookmark it if the site remains as is. What was nice about the old way was one click and you were in the demo area for that specific platform.

From a marketing standpoint, having a demo link under each platform provides great visibility and in my opinion is more accessible for those visiting RT for the first time (with the added bonus of making the demo subdomain easier to get to for us veterans).

I noticed that the URL demo.rockettheme.com defaults to Joomla demos. If adding to each platform drop down, this gives the opportunity to route directly to each platform's demo area.

Thanks for taking this under consideration - I know you have bigger fish to fry.
    • Cebsource Creative & Technical Services
    • Andy Miller
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Kahuna

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds