Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

• Re: Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

Posted 16 years 10 months ago
    • and I am not meaning to imply that the blood of babies is used to bless each release and curse the non core developers. (at least I hope not.. ;D )

I edited my post to remove something that looked accusatory.

I wasn't looking for an 'official' stand point but more for a technical/legal one which Andrew provided some insight into. (thanks again)

I agree with the tin hat statement. If you know where I got it you also probably know I have been somewhat defending todays J! statement against said tin hats, as well as working on ways to help both parties work together.

The problem with being any position of authority, is that any decision you make that is out of alignment with another person's will be taken by them either as you being incompetent or out to get them. Any decision that isn't 100% understandable is also taken as you hiding something. People hate change and love to pin the blame for them having to do it, onto someone or something, to relieve them of the burden of having to do something about it.

Don't take it personally, you simply cannot please all of the people all of the time, no matter how hard you try. Perhaps you should be instead be proud that people are fighting so hard over Joomla. :D
      It is that important to them.

But you are right I probably shouldn't be dragging something into RT that is "unrelated but intimately related" as this issue is. If you get what I mean. (I am not sure I do actually...)
    • Last Edit: 16 years 10 months ago by Daniel Chapman.
    • www.ninjoomla.com - The Ninjoomla Open Source Extension Club
      Over 50 open source extensions and 100 videos to you build the site you want.

Re: Must Joomla Extensions all be GNU/GPL? Have your say.

• Daniel Chapman wrote:
      and I am not meaning to imply that the blood of babies is used to bless each release and curse the non core developers. (at least I hope not.. ;D )

The blood of babies is not used to bless each release? No wonder it's so buggy! I want my money back!
    • Last Edit: 16 years 10 months ago by .

• I knew there was baby blood involved. :o I am so going to go blog this...the people need to know! Also, better inform others we were right about the hoods and handshaking in the inner circle...
    • ~*~ OpenSourceCommunity.org ~*~

• Daniel Chapman wrote:
      Any decision that isn't 100% understandable is also taken as you hiding something.
      In the more than 4 years now (gosh, that long) that I've been involved in the project people haven't changed :) You get used to it.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><
      The Art of Joomla - A Joomla Magazine - www.theartofjoomla.com
      JXtended - Empowering the Web - jxtended.com
    • damo
    • Elite Rocketeer

• i've given up reading this thread and the one over at joomla. its too much ...

it seems like the core team and everyone at OSM/Joomla are defending inaccuracies posted and setting the record straight. so it seems like it is over ...

overall i'm very happy with everything that people like andy and andrew have done since the forking off (sorry; just like calling a fork a fork) and while there have been bumps and mistakes made that should be expected with all new things.

as for those two commerical developers leaving. i just think they are cutting off their noses ...
    • www.c3p0.se - sweden

• Thanks damo.
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

• *starts to cry quietly to himself*

All the leeches and grave robbers are already out and the corpses aren't even cold yet.

I am seeing 'omg I am gonna get rich from putting every commercial extension and google adds sites up' everywhere.

Why do so many people want something for nothing? To just rip off another person's blood sweat and tears and walk away without providing anything for the benefits they recieved. How can they sleep at night. :o
    • www.ninjoomla.com - The Ninjoomla Open Source Extension Club
      Over 50 open source extensions and 100 videos to you build the site you want.
    • CG Icon
    • Hero Rocketeer

• honestly becasue no one explains the difference between open source, freeware and the like,,,, in peoples mind open source means freeware and freeware means free.. to a lot of people,, they dont know that the free in freeware means free source code. in peoples mind there is the MS people and all the software that supports it that is high end dollar and after that everything else is free,, it is what they have come to expect ( right or wrong,,it is the stigma of open source)

bashing the conceptions of the ignorant will not help,,,, perhaps if the community drafted a statement on the definition of these terms and each posted on thier sites it would turn the tide and change the attitudes..

education is the key here.

• And the personal hate mail is rolling in as well :)
    • Andrew Eddie
      <><

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds