Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Update on Wage

• JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

Re: Update on Wage

Posted 13 years 7 months ago
    • Hang in there Wage, you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

Posted 13 years 7 months ago
    • Blog entry:
      9-23-10
      8:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement thus far!
      I went for a walk today... and it was too hilly (I don't think there are many "flat-spots" in Arkansas) and I almost didn't make it home.
      Having MDS is like being anemic all-the-time. I don't know what's worse... the cancer or the MDS.
      Since my Doctor is not giving me transfusions like I need (because of the iron build-up), I can''t hardly do ANYTHING without getting dizzy and out of breath. I feel like a house-plant now, because my activity has really gone down.

Thanks for reading,
      Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 6 months ago
    • Blog entry:
      8-19-10
      4:07 pm

I had to go to the Emergency room today. My bloodcounts were EXTREMEMLY low with a heart-rate of 170bpm.
      I was immediately put on Oxygen (which helped) and then was given 2-units of iradiated blood. This Cancer / MDS / just plain-ole feeling bad is about to get the best of me.

My new motto is:
      "I'm sick-and-tired of being sick-and-tired!"

Still no-word on the Bone-marrow transplant. I'm just waiting my turn. I just hope I'm not there during the Holiday season.

Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
    • Adamck
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Web Developer, IT Assistant, Graphics design, App Developer

• Good luck dude,
      I dont know you and im pretty new to the site but try to keep positive and look forward to things to come.
      Depression and feeling down only makes your symptoms worse, keeping a positive mind helps you fight!
      8)
    • Kiss my RSS
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I went to the hospital yesterday because My heart was Racing and I was Extremely Winded.
      I got to the Emergency room and my heart-Rate was 170bpm and my oxygen absorption was VERY low. I had oxygen therapy for about 2 hrs and then received 2-units of blood. I didn't get home until after 9pm and I went straight to bed.... Needless to say, I slept like a "baby!"

It's amazing how much of a difference good blood makes to how one's body works.

Wage
  • Re: Update on Wage

• Good to see you are back in form Wage,
      Looking forward to seeing more good news from you over the coming months, especially the day they confirm the transplant.
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• The last few days have been horrible for me. I have been sick (bad-blood) for weeks but I kept telling myself to "hold-off" until the 5th because I had an appointment scheduled and I would get checked out then.

Finally the 5th came and I went to the VA hospital. I had my labs drawn and I went up to the Hem/Onc clinic and told them I needed to see a Doctor. They told me to go home because all I had scheduled was a lab-appointment. The hem/onc clinic ALWAYS has a Doctor assigned to "walk-ins" because our (cancer patients) conditions change very rapidly and we can need care at the "drop-of-a-hat." The nurses kept refusing to get me a doctor and kept telling me to go home because all I had scheduled was a lab appt.

I got VERY frustrated and decided to walk down to the Emergency room. As soon as I walked in, the ER doctor took one look at me and said "My GOD, you're as white as a sheet!" They immediately hooked me up to the monitors and the Doc's couldn't believe what they saw. My heart rate was 170bpm, my blood pressure was very low and my oxygen absorbtion was below 85%. That's how bad my blood was.

The Doc's then hooked me up to oxygen and IV-fluids and I could feel it almost immediately. I explained to the Doctor what had happened and She couldn't believe it! She told me if I went home I could have gone into cardiac-arrest.

Next, She ordered me to be transfused 2-units of blood Stat! She was so concerned about what happened, she gave me the "Patients Advocate" phone number and urged me to report it! I don't usually like to complain, but I took her advice and called.

The man I talked to said that they have received over 10 complaints about the same clinic in last 2 months. This may be a coincidence, but my regular Doctor (who was Chief of Oncology) left 2 months ago and was replaced by a different Doctor who works at 2 different hospitals.

I am thinking that he places less priority on Us Vets.

Eventually I got the blood I needed and you would not believe how much of a difference it makes!

final thought: If one does not feel the desire to be in Patient-Care, then they need to find another job! This Doctor was wreckless with my health-well-being and an "easily rectified condition" could have declined to a "serious" one.

Thank you Dr. Maxwell (ER Dr.) for your timely attention.

Wage
    • Robert W
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • IT

• wage - that sounded like a close call for sure. glad to hear that all worked out for you. what hospital was that in VA? my mom has cancer and is treated in richmond, va so i want to make sure we dont go to that hospital.
    • WBoro
    • Hero Rocketeer

• Robert W wrote:
      wage - that sounded like a close call for sure. glad to hear that all worked out for you. what hospital was that in VA? my mom has cancer and is treated in richmond, va so i want to make sure we dont go to that hospital.

I'm pretty sure he meant a Veteran's Administration (VA) hospital, and not a hospital in Virginia.

Greg
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Veteran's Administration Hospital in Little Rock.

I don't know how close it actually was, I've never worked in the Medical Field.. But, I was panicking for sure. The best-way I could describe the feeling is.... Drowning or Suffocating.

Wage

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds