Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Update on Wage

• Re: Update on Wage

Posted 13 years 5 months ago
    • You can win this Rob! Stay positive. And we are here for yer always. :)
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

Re: Update on Wage

• Thanks a lot!
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers
  • Re: Update on Wage

• JEM wrote:
      [quote="Robert I am gonna miss the fun that my kids have during the holidays more than anything.

Eyes on the prize wage!

Think of all the ones to come when this is over.

We be thinking of you.

Keep in touch and take care.

JEM[/quote]

LIke JEM said eyes on the prize and best of luck over the next couple of weeks
      Michael
    • Terp
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Robert D. Wagers wrote:
      Well, I finally finished all of my testing and interviews. The next step is to wait for the approval from Washington DC... and then for the arrival-date to be set by Nashville. I'm not sure if I'm gonna bring my laptop this time, I don't want it to be broken or stolen. So, I will be out of contact for a good while after I leave.

Thanks for being my friends,
      Wage

If you are going to VA hospital in DC (or another hospital in the area) and want some company, let me know, sir. While you won't be able enjoy any of that 'foreplay' we've talked about (I know my father couldn't eat pepper and some other spices for awhile after his transplant), I am more than willing to bring you anything you need/crave.

My father's lungs won't support another stem cell transplant, so he will be going down the bone marrow path next. The fact that you are a candidate for another is godsend, so keep up the fight, Wage. You're in it to win it.
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• No, I'm not going to DC. The "funding" just has to be approved there.
      My transplant will be in Nashville, TN. at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
      Thanks for the kind offer!
      Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I've got a call into the Hospital. I'm informing my Doctor that I am NOT gonna have the 2nd transplant. It is too inconvenient for everyone else around me to have to support me So, like for most of my life, I am on my own!

I am going to discuss with my doctor about treating what I currently have or what it will turn-into.
      Hopefully "Plan-B" will work and I can stick-around for a few more years to see my kids grow-up!

Thanks for listening!
      Wage
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I have chosen not to name the details of what has happened in the last few weeks but In effort to get this out, I have to quit holding it in.
      5months ago, when I was told I had MDS and I was gonna have to have another transplant... My Mother was the first person I called. I asked her if she would go with me again and be my "required support person/care-giver." She said that she would and I started the application process naming her as "the care-giver." These transplants cost $250,000 a piece and the Government only does "so-many" per year, so I have to apply for one of the "pre-allocated" transplant slots.

After months of applying for a 2nd transplant and naming my Mother as the Required-Designated-Caregiver all of the sudden, it was too inconvenient for her and she told me, "It depends, it depends, I can't put my job in jeopardy! I just don't know...."

As you can imagine, I became extremely angry with her.... and admittedly scared-to-death! Now I have to start all-over and name my wife as the caregiver and she has to go through the application process and interviews. This is gonna delay my approval and push-back the time-scale of this transplant (if I'm approved).

You see, my Mother is a RN (Registered Nurse) and that gave me bonus-points towards approval. My wife, as wonderful as she is, has no medical training and it's possible she could get distracted because of her missing our daughter. She would have to forgo ALL distractions to qualify. Allison has never been away from us for more than a few hours at-a-time. We've tried to get her to spend-the-night at Andrea's parents, but she only lasts until about midnight and we end-up having to go get her. That is a problem! And that will probably eliminate Andrea as a possible care-giver.

I don't know what I'm going to do! If I don't have this transplant, my disease will progress to AML (acute-myelo-leukemia) and that's a death-sentence!

Wage
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Wage,

That is a real bummer of a situation.

As a therapist I know that it is easier to live life with a clear conscience than to be racked with guilt about our actions.

It is a shame your mother's judgement is clouded by the effects of the economy and job prospects. Whatever happens a job opportunity will always materialise, not always the right one, but there would be no need to starve in this day and age. When a family member is gone they cannot be replaced by anyone else :cry:

As for being on your own, there are many people who wish you well and hope that this situation resolves itself so your kids have you around for a lot longer yet. Keep being as strong and positive as you can and never give up. Be a YES man - where YES = You're Extra Special!

Best wishes

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• :arrowu: Really thinking and thinking how to respond, but Dave summed it up nicely...

as Bob Marley once said 'don't give up the fight!'

You are in our hearts and prayers, Wage.

All the best to you!

JEM
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • November 30th, I have an appointment to start some new treatments. These treatments are not a cure, but will treat the symptoms and slow-down the progress of this disease.

I tell you, I am really feeling badly all-the-time now! As soon as I get a transfusion I feel great! But, about 3-days later I'm feeling bad again and have to feel this way for days-and-days.

This alternative treatment is unclear to me. It consists of some special chemo and some shots.... followed by chelation-therapy to filter-out the excess iron from my blood!

I hope it makes me feel a little better... because I am "sick-and-tired of feeling sick-and-tired"

Wage

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds