Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Update on Wage

• Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Full-Time Cancer Fighter!

Re: Update on Wage

Posted 13 years 4 months ago
    • I showed-up today to start these "new treatments," but my Doctor wasn't there.... so nothing happened other than my labs were drawn (cbc).
      I was told by a Nurse Practitioner, that my application for this transplant has passed Nashville and is in Wash DC awaiting the funds to be approved. She said it will probably be January now before I go to Nashville for the transplant.
      I hope my body can hold-out until then because I feel terrible all-the-time now!

Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
      A quote attributed to my Grandpa Wagers
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Wage,

At least things are moving :)

I am a hypnotherapist and I never fail to be amazed at how powerful the human mind is. I helped a guy with weight control but I also knew he had PTSD and several years of counselling had very little effect. The stress caused severe psoriasis and this was just adding to his stress.

While I treated the guy for weight control, his original reason for coming to me, the side effects were that his PTSD was reduced and his psoriasis started going away. We discussed these benefits and he decided that the psoriasis was his biggest issue as others could see it and strangers were always staring at him.

We adopted a simple approach where he would play his favourite piece of music each night before going to sleep. And while he enjoyed the music he was to close his eyes and just imagine a small army of microscopic warriors marching around his body to do battle with the psoriasis. Sounds completely weird but he had some amazing results and his psoriasis cleared very quickly. I have to admit it took several weeks before the weight control stuff started working.

I guess my point is that while you are in waiting mode just give your mind something positive to do. At very best you get some extra relief while you wait. At very worst you've killed some time.

There's lots of examples of people beating all odds, and when you look at them, they are all determined people, just like you. I wish you some relief from your pain and troubles and hope you get some time to enjoy your family over the coming weeks.

Best wishes

David

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Thanks David... very insightful!
      I do try and keep some-sort of routine. Mostly, I do things that will keep me from dwelling on being sick. My daughter (Allison) and I watch her cartoons, color pictures and play games. She really helps my happiness!
      I read a lot these days and that keeps my mind distracted.
      Thanks again for the encouragement!

Wage
    • "Everyone has to get knocked-down every once-in-a-while, otherwise you'll never learn how to get-back-up! "
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, I am feeling terrible these days. I just spent two-straight-days in bed because my blood is really bad. Normally I would goto the hospital and get a transfusion, but because of this upcoming (if approved) transplant, my Doctor has to try and keep my iron-levels as low as possible. High iron levels lead to organ damage and could lead to complications during the transplant..... So, the Doc is "stringing-me-along," trying to keep the number of transfusions as low as possible. This leaves me feeling terrible all-the-time!

Please excuse me if my words are incoherent, but imagine yourself sitting in a chair, feeling like you are drowning or suffocating! That's the best way I can describe how I feel!

Thanks for reading and caring,
      Wage
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Terp wrote:
      (I know my father couldn't eat pepper and some other spices for awhile after his transplant), I am more than willing to bring you anything you need/crave.

Yeah, after a transplant, one cannot eat (nor be around) fresh vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants, pets, etc. When they say "No-immune-system" they REALLY mean "No-immune-system!" A newborn baby has more immunities that the transplant patient will, because some immunity and anti-bodies are passed-over from the mother! That's the reason I will have to live in a "positive-pressure-room" (bubble-room), with hepa-filtered air and ultra violet lighting. It's pretty intense!

Spices have to be kept to a minimum because your tissues are very-weak due to the chemo. So, it's a lot of bland foods for a while!

Wage
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• Well, I had to take an Ambulance to the hospital yesterday. My blood-counts dropped so low that my heart wouldn't slow-down and I thought I was in danger of cardiac arrest .
      I was neutropenic again and my Hemogloben and Red Blood cells were VERY LOW. I actually had to be admitted and was placed in a Neutropenic-Precautions-Room . I had to have 4-units of blood (that's twice what I normally need).
      After the fourth unit of blood, my doctor started a chemo treatment called Vidaza® . Like I said before, it's not a cure but it will slow-down the progression of the MDS.
      It has been a while since I've had any actual-chemo in my body and I have forgotten how it makes you feel (tired, weak, and nauseous). I have to go every day for 6 weeks then I get 3 weeks to recuperate. Hopefully by then, I will have been approved for the transplant that I so need. I found out that the reason it is taking so long to get approved this time is because it's the end of the fiscal year and most of the pre-approved funding has been used for 2010 and I guess I'm not the highest of priorities.
      I'm home now and feel better than I did but am feeling the effects of the first dose of this chemo. I hope I sleep well tonight because my body needs the rest!

Wage
    • Last Edit: 13 years 3 months ago by Robert D. Wagers.
    • Henning
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Volunteer

• keep up the fight, Wage ...
    • JEM
    • Preeminent Rocketeer

• Wage, it gets more and more difficult to reply with all the problems you are facing, :o (my dad went through the same thing) but as Hennig said, don't give up.

Fingers crossed, you are in our prayers.

All the best, you're an inspiration to all of us.

JEM
    • Thanks,
      jim
    • David Goode
    • Preeminent Rocketeer
    • Web Designer and Host

• Hi Wage,

Here is a quote for you...
      Before my accident I thought a hero was someone who commits a courageous action without condidering the consequences.
      Now I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.
      That quote is from Christopher Reeves who played the role of Superman before becoming a cripple.

Based on the quote I guess that means you are the new Superman 8)

We're all willing you on to recovery.

• Please search forums before posting. Please make sure your post includes the version of the CMS you are using and a link to the problem. Annotations on screenshots can also be helpful to explain problems/goals. Please use the "secure" tab for confidential information
    • Robert D. Wagers
    • Elite Rocketeer

• That's a GREAT quote David! Thanks for that! I have to go again for another dose. It's an "every-day" treatment.... Gosh, I hope it doesn't get much worse than it is now; after only one dose!

Wage

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds