Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Widget overrides with Gantry

• Re: Widget overrides with Gantry

Posted 12 years 9 months ago
    • Cliff,

Any word on how the bug fix for widget creation is going? I'm about ready to go live with my client's website. Any edits to widgets results in a mess. I really need to have this corrected.

Thanks,
      Tiff
    • Sheldon
    • Sr. Rocketeer

Re: Widget overrides with Gantry

• Hi Tiff,

Just read this on the google group and thought it should be posted here.
      I recently posted my terrible problem with the widget overrides showing random widgets on Rockettheme.com. Editing widgets is not possible either. I have to delete and replace widgets multiple times to get the correct widget to appear. And even then, it sometimes goes through an entire endless loop of not posting the correct widget on the correct override page. I posted my experience on the Rockettheme.com forum for Gantry for WordPress and within the Zephyr for WordPress forums.

I was told it was a known bug and would get attention after the latest theme was released. This didn't make me happy since I'm a current customer that paid a fee for actual support and the focus is going to making new product when the old product still doesn't work. And I pay more than the developer rate because I have my clients buy their own memberships most of the time.

It was thought it was a RocketLauncher issue. But I installed the Theme and Gantry/WP separately and still had the wacky widgets. I apologize for my sour grapes, but I need to launch this site for my client this weekend. Telling her she can't make widgets and there will be a fix coming isn't very professional. Keeping my fingers crossed that all the widgets are in the right place as long as I don't take too deep of a breath is crazy-making. I really hope I can get some solid leads to getting this fixed.

WP 3.2.1
      Gantry 1.16
      Zephyr theme with custom css in styles.css applied.

Issue: random widgets appear after creating/saving a widget in an override
      Initially installed with Rocketlauncher
      Reinstalled them separately on new DB.

Best,
      Tiff

So it's not a RocketLaucher issue.

Well, my WordPress subscription expires today and I haven't been able to use anymore of the themes built on Gantry so I won't be renewing. There are plenty of other theme/framework providers.

Wonder who I talk to for a refund.

• I'd love to know how Rockettheme gets these overrides to work in the demo. I need to cut and run to Joomla if this isn't going work in WordPress. My client really needed an easy option for their content management of three websites into one and importing a very large blog. It looks like now I'll have to switch to Joomla and have the WP blog (imported from Posterous) within it. Sure hope the themes have consistency.

Anyone know if there an issue with Gantry overrides in Joomla as well? Or is this limited to WP?

Rockettheme really shouldn't be offering WP for Gantry with overrides if it doesn't actually work. I've wasted so many hours on this problem, trying to get it to work. If anyone has anything to offer in the way of advice, I really could use your help.making a decision about which course of action I should take so my client can go live this weekend.

Thanks,
      Tiff
    • Tami

• I also want to know when this update to Gantry is going to happen that is supposed to fix this problem.

• Hi everyone,

First of all I'm really sorry about these widget issues and that you're having troubles with it. The reason why this still isn't fixed is because we can't catch the moment when this happens and what actually causes it - it behaves randomly and thus we aren't able to find exact moment where it breaks the db entry (it might happen but doesn't have to). We're taking this very seriously and are trying to locate the issue as much as we can, but because of this randomness it's super hard. It's very possible that we'll have to review the whole thing and try to locate what can go wrong. One more time sorry for that.

Jakub
    • Remember to always post a link to the site you're having problem with.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago
    • If it is of any diagnostic assistance... the problem occurred for me today when I went and attempted to edit some widget content that was specific to my index/home page... I was able to edit one text widget once, after which it didn't accept changes (they showed in the widget textarea but where not reflected in the page). BUT once I had deleted and re-added a new text widget (having saved and copied the content of course) it seemed to accept further changes without difficulty.

• I'm guessing that things are very busy at RT towers and things are getting a bit messy - Joomla 1.6, then 1.7 meaning everybody tied up due to the frantic workload....
      I'm posting this so that I get an email when a solution comes up for this issue....no hurry lads, just concentrate...concentrate 8)

• OK I spoke too soon... I've added a new overide and it all went batshit crazy... I had widgets from one area replacing widgets from another and vice versa... I have a few trouble shooting ideas but this is a bit of a deal breaker for getting a site live within the next few weeks. The problem occurred on the addition of the 8th over ride on a wordpress site that wasn't created with Rocket launcher, using gantry 1.15 and the Quantive theme
    • GrantA

• Any news or information about this? I don't think any of the Rocket Theme community would care if you missed a month of new themes to spend the time in fixing this issue. I have to launch a Gantry site today for a client and the widgets are definitely making my life a living hell. Sadly, because of this issue (and a few other bugs I've run into, such as SEO plugins disabling the RokAjaxSearch, that of which support still doesn't care to look into) I will be taking my business elsewhere in the future, but I would really love a fix now.

• I second that - any news, good or bad, would be welcome. I am having to switch all my users, not just novices, over to other templates or Joomla.

This is particularly frustrating where I have set up sites with a Joomla core and a matching Wordpress blog and has held back development of my community sites for months now.

Having invested in RocketTheme for several years now I do not want to have to change to a competitor just to get a good Wordpress/Joomla/Magento combination but I may have to.

This is much more than a simple inconvenience that people can work-around. The whole point of any content management system is that it should effectively manage content - and widgets with a mind of their own are not manageable..

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds