Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Widget overrides with Gantry

• agent99
    • Elite Rocketeer

Re: Widget overrides with Gantry

Posted 12 years 8 months ago
    • www.mvsolution.com This site was not created using Rocket Launcher. It still has Gantry 1.15. I added a bar and a widget to the Default Footer widget now. The widget showed up there, and also in Home page Main Top as the third widget. I deleted the widget and it's OK now. This site in the past did cause all the widgets to go crazy and show up on random overrides. I am the only user, widgets are not created by any other user.

I agree with GrantA that fixing these major bugs is more important than releasing new themes. On this site my sidebar disappeared, it won't save the layout with sidebar on this page override. It may be working when you look because I'll create new overrides utnil it does. twelve.yoursteppinstone.com/cooking-classes/
    • thom13

Posted 12 years 7 months ago
    • Any news?????? Good or bad? Getting slightly frustrated here :shock:
  • Re: Widget overrides with Gantry

• Months have gone past now - this is getting silly - do they want us to renew our membership or not?

How can RT build such great templates and a super system such as Gantry - and do such good stuff with Joomla - and then ignore something like this which makes the whole Wordpress Developer package unsaleable!!
    • thom13

• Hello???? I need to go live soon - did 3 weeks worth of work just go down the crapper????
    • Sheldon
    • Sr. Rocketeer

• Barry Francis wrote:
      Months have gone past now - this is getting silly - do they want us to renew our membership or not?

I didn't renew my wordpress membership. No reason to, there are many other template sites with solid frameworks. I've already bought several wordpress templates from themeforest.
    • thom13

• How do I get a refund? :evil:

• Sheldon wrote:
      Barry Francis wrote:
      Months have gone past now - this is getting silly - do they want us to renew our membership or not?

I didn't renew my wordpress membership. No reason to, there are many other template sites with solid frameworks. I've already bought several wordpress templates from themeforest.

I've also looked around at YooThemes as well as ThemeForest but was sold on RT initially because of the Joomla templates which work pretty flawlessly and are easy to edit, and then despite a few misgivings - not least because the development of themes or templates for other platforms is miles behind the Joomla dev - I was tempted into investing in Magento and Wordpress developer membership because I use Magento for ECommerce and was even going to add the PHPBB membership into the mix.

Maybe the RT dev team are spreading themselves too thin and cross platform development is too ambitious.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with the basic theme that comes with Gantry for Wordpress? At least that would tell us whether it lies within Gantry or the RT Themes themselves.
    • thom13

• Is this a WordPress only problem, or Joomla as well?

• The Joomla themes work great. Any problems I've had with the Joomla templates over the few years I've had developer membership have been minor and promptly rectified.

Ironically it was precisely because of this that I overcame my initial trepidation about the designs for Magento and Wordpress being so far behind those of the Joomla templates - and by that I mean that the 'latest' Worpdress template design is the Joomla design from many months before that - which made me sign up for the Wordpress and Magento developer licence.

The problem with the above is that anyone doing cross platform site builds using Rockettheme templates is obliged to keep those which match! In effect that means that to have matching themes you're restricted to the most recent of the most behind platform.

As an example - the latest theme for Magento is Mercado which for Joomla came out in March last year but the template the month before that, Infuse, came out for Joomla in October 09! Six templates to choose from that match Joomla templates (Quasar is Magento only) and none of those Joomla templates is recent enough to be using Gantry..

The Wordpress themes are 8 months behind the Joomla templates so this only came to light for me when I started working with the Panacea theme for Wordpress.with a view to updating my Joomla & Wordpress site combinations.

Epic fail thanks to the WP widget issue! Months later and I am still using Mynxx, which is fine because it does have a Magento version that works for WP and Magento, but sad because I have a whole load of new Joomla templates that don't match and which I therefore can't use for my own cross platform development.

For me, Rockettheme make great Joomla templates and the promise of cross platform matching themes is a wonderful one, if and when it delivers, but it does seem that the RT team are overstretched when viewed from this side of the fence and that worries me.

The Magento sites I've built are for my own businesses so if I stick to older themes/templates that don't use Gantry I can develop Magneto-Joomla-Wordpress cross platform sites. Using older themes is no incentive to renew any of the memberships though.

My decision then comes down to what I use for other people's sites that I build for them when they want Joomla + Wordpress or just Wordpress. Do I wait for RT to solve this issue or invest in developer membership with one of their competitors instead?

That is why I wish RT would solve this issue long before my subscriptions come up for renewal in January/Feb. After 3 years developer subscription for Joomla templates and a year's investment in developer subs for Magento and Wordpress, I am very reluctant to jump ship, but I might have to.

I am not a programmer and I need reliability in any theme/template system I invest in because of the sheer cost of the time wasted when they don't do what they say on the can!
    • thom13

• I hear ya! I don't exactly know what I am doing - this was supposed to be an "easy" solution. Now a month of time has been wasted :cry: Guess I'll see if I can get the Panacea Joomla template from them and start all over :cry: :cry: :cry:

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds